Author Topic: Rusty Fuel Tanks! No It's not, It is stale fuel!!  (Read 2553 times)

Offline Hammer

• STuffed
Rusty Fuel Tanks! No It's not, It is stale fuel!!
« on: February 11, 2014, 12:57:07 PM »
Hi All,

I am hope for some guidance and or advice.

On the weekend I went to go fro a ride on my 2005 ST1300, but it refused to start. I found surface rust in the upper fuel tank and now I assume the rst may have either clogged the fuel filter, clogged the fuel pump, or worse seized teh fuel pump!
The last time I rode the bike was late October last year and I know the tank han no rust in it at that time. The tank low in fuel. I think that over the extreme summer this year the fuel has sweated and caused teh surface rust.

My questions are,
1) How can I fix this without needing to take out a third mortage on my house?
2) Will it be necessary to remove the bottom tank to fix, as I understand to remove the lowwer tank the rear end of the bike needs to be dismantalled?
3) If it is only surface rusting (given the rust has only had a max of 3 months to develop) could I simply empty the remaining fuel, and then fill both tanks with a solution to disolve (remove) the rust, empty to solution out, flush, replace fuel filter and the refuel, cross fingers and start the motor?

Any suggestions, comments or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Hammer

:blu13

Hi All,

I refer to my earlier post and I have an update for those interested.

I have finally worked up the courage to start pulling parts off my bike and clean the top and lower tank of what I thought was rust. When I drained the remaining fuel out of the lower tank, I noticed the colour of the fuel was a deep honey colour and did not smell like normal fuel. It smelt more like sweet paint stripper (if that make sense). When I removed the fuel pump from the lower fuel tank I found it totally caked in a brown substance, see first photo.

The "brown crap" (scientific name) was easliy removed from plastic and rubber parts however it is very difficult to remove from some metal parts.

The secord photo shows the pump upside down and the brown crap is starting to fall off. The third photo shows the pump assemply dried and the brown crap rubbed off areas it would come off easily. You will notice an number of metal components where the brown crap is stuck like *&*^ on a blanket.

I was reading through another thread on this site regarding fuel additives and found reference to fuel going stale. An extract follows.

"In warm conditions, fuel is especially prone to oxidisation which
causes lacquer and gums to form. As a result, the fuel turns dark in
colour, loses its clarity and smells like paint stripper."

So I now I know my problem is not rust but this "lacquer" that has formed from stale fuel.

My question is now how can I remove the lacquer from within the two tanks and fuel lines and through to the injectors. I will replace the fuel filter and fuel pump, flush the fuel lines out, but how do I clean the injectors etc. The crap in the tanks is quite dificult to budge, so I am hoping to find some liquid which I can fill the tanks with, to remove or disolve the crap.

Any thougths, suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Regard.
Hammer :fp
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 03:44:15 PM by Hammer »

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Was here when the lights got turned on :-)
Re: Rusty Fuel Tanks
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 02:45:27 PM »
Hi All,

I am hope for some guidance and or advice.

On teh weekend I went to go fro a ride on my 2005 ST1300, but it refused to start. I found surface rust in the upper fuel tank and now I assume the rst may have either clogged the fuel filter, clogged the fuel pump, or worse seized teh fuel pump!
The last time I rode the bike was late October last year and I know the tank han no rust in it at that time. The tank low in fuel. I think that over the extreme summer this year the fuel has sweated and caused teh surface rust.

My questions are,
1) How can I fix this without needing to take out a third mortage on my house?
2) Will it be necessary to remove the bottom tank to fix, as I understand to remove the lowwer tank the rear end of the bike needs to be dismantalled?
3) If it is only surface rusting (given the rust has only had a max of 3 months to develop) could I simply empty the remaining fuel, and then fill both tanks with a solution to disolve (remove) the rust, empty to solution out, flush, replace fuel filter and the refuel, cross fingers and start the motor?

Any suggestions, comments or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Hammer

Hammer - Why do you think it is rust? Could it be algae in the fuel which could be flushed? A workshop manual will help show out the steps to flushing it out?
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023, 2024
Experience trumps assumption :-)

Offline Hammer

• STuffed
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 03:00:18 PM »
Hi Sicman,

Thanks for your response.

I believe it to be rust as in looking in to the opened cap area, the internal rim of the tank and the hump in the middle centre of the top tank has brown deposits which appear to be rust. When I rub the "rust" a slightly gritty deposit is left on my finger.

Thanks for any advice.

Also how can I drain teh lower tank with removing it? is it a matter of siphoning it out being the only option?

Thanks
Hammer.

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 03:13:47 PM »
Hi Hammer.  Just linking the info from two posts for you.   
Good Luck with tracking down a way of identifying and dealing with the problem.  :thumb

See also   http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=6296.msg70858#msg70858
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Willetton, Perth