Author Topic: extended sump plug  (Read 1128 times)

Offline pault

• ST
extended sump plug
« on: March 03, 2014, 05:10:16 PM »
Obviously good for both 1100 and 1300.
To avoid hot oil and metal extend your sump plug as shown in the pic. Do make it too long as you will bark knuckles on grey plastic fairing.
Take an alloy sump plug, drill in for 6 mm from both ends. Do not drill right through, bit safer.
While I have a lathe there is no reason why this could not be done in a drill press and vice or even a hand drill.
Glue a magnet in the threaded end. I used JB Weld. I would not use araldite as it does not like heat.
The magnet should only protrude 3 mm as it would hit on the end of the drain recess in the sump.
Cut magnet to length with a dremel type tool.
The outer end I extended with a piece of brass  50mm long and  threaded 3/16  whitworth as I have the  tools. Does not matter what material is used here, glue or press fit.  Push on a piece of tubing and you are done.
The first time I used this at 240k/km there was some toothpaste like sludge on the magnet. 10k later there was nothing.
Having used this a couple of times it does make life easier. Only need a ring spanner to start and finish. No more sockets or plugs dropped in oil.

I have had trouble posting pics. gremlins?  use the link

[/URL]

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: extended sump plug
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 05:33:55 PM »
Interesting idea..
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY