Author Topic: rough gear changes  (Read 3203 times)

Offline jackndon

• titofolist
  • ST Legend
rough gear changes
« on: April 02, 2014, 09:44:54 AM »
 :blu13 

Hi guys, this is my first post about the ST, I know shaft drives have a bit of backlash, but this can translate to rough gear changes, especially on the overrun, it may be me or is it imposable to get a really nice gear change when going relatively slow on a st1300, without a lot of clutch slip,  I know a beamer I had some years ago was the same, unless you drove through the gears at a huge rate of knots, or can it be improved with the fuel mixture, except for the above the bike runs smooth as, and I think its a great bike and only done 20,000klms on the clock, and so very spoilt for service, I have had the bike about 7 months. I can make good lower end gear changes but you have to think about it all the time, although it may not be helped by the fact that I have a Can Am Spyder, and now I have got it set up correctly and will not let a service mech near it, it changes gear like an auto box on a top quality car, with zero snatch or backlash, but it does not have the grunt of the ST engine!!! any thoughts would be appreciated. Don
always look on the bright side of life, de dum, de dum, de dum, de dum, and ride ride ride.

Offline zevk

• ST1300ABS
Re: rough gear changes
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 10:08:41 AM »
Hi Don,
You are a lucky man to have a canam spyder (I have always wanted try one)  and an ST1300!

Motor oil can make a difference to smooth gear changes.

After trials with Motul, Blu-Ray, and several others, I now only use Honda HP4 10-40w, on my 2006 ST1300. it has ester as a component detergent and is available, 4 litres  to

your door via ebay filter, and crush gaskets incl for $70.

The oil topic is a big one, on the forum, and others will argue for and against the forementioned till blue in the face, this is only my 2 cents worth.

Also try to clean and spray lithium grease onto the shift linkage under the bike.,

hope this helps, good luck and happy riding.  :wink1
Zev

Offline Streak

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 10:28:08 AM »
G'day jack,
                 I have just bought a ST1300 myself, and when i first rode it I thought the gears where a bit clunky myself.

gave it a service, fresh oil (I used a shell helix HX5 15W-40 Deisel Oil), and promptly did a 5,000km trip, the gear changed have smoothed considerably  :thumb

Cheers

Streak
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 10:32:49 AM »
Don,

If you are having trouble with bear changes, then you may be leaving the change down to late, and changing up to soon, causing the engine to lug a bit. this will also cause the backlash you felt.

The type of oil used can make a difference, especially to the first second change. This applies to both 1100 and 1300.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline jackndon

• titofolist
  • ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 07:20:23 PM »
 :blu13 :thumbs
Hi thanks for the input lads, I changed the oil to Penrite diesel because I found it to work fine in my other bikes ie cruisers now sold.
the gear box itself is as smooth as, it does not even clunk into first gear even when cold, I think the problem comes down to the built in back lash in the shaft drive we have to live with, unless on huge mileage. I also upped the tick over to about 1,400 rpm the St engine does not complain with this, it stops the engine speed dropping too much between gears, so less gap to pick up again, and in traffic when the problem mentioned can get annoying, it will poodle along at just the right speed, without throttle and little playing with the clutch. had a great ride yesterday to Robertson Kiama, my property looks up to Kangaroo Valley on the Bomaderry side, (eat your hearts out lads) and solo was fine, if anyone fancies a coffee and ride anytime get in touch, :hatwavestay upright, Don
always look on the bright side of life, de dum, de dum, de dum, de dum, and ride ride ride.

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 09:00:08 PM »
Definitely up for rides up around there, as will quite a few others who are basically locals.  My ST1100 has 215,000kms on it and still feels roughly the same as newer bikes drive train wise, so it will not get worse.  I have had to replace the cushion rubbers in the rear wheel once, but the ST1300 has a bit different setup so should not have that problem.  Grease those splines regularly and it will last you out.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others