Author Topic: Custom OzSTOC Jacket feedback  (Read 4114 times)

Online Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
Re: Custom OzSTOC Jacket feedback
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2015, 09:25:19 PM »
A couple of weeks after the Toowoomba AGM, Easter Saturday I think, the day it rained so much they postponed the horse racing, we rode the Putty Road, and I was soaked to the skin.  The waterproof jacket ain't.

Let me explain.

This was the day Sydney got around 75mm to 100mm, they cancelled the races, we got wet, very wet, wet to the skin.  It was cold too, the ambient temperature (according the Mighty ST's temp gauge) it was around 60C to 80C.  I have ridden in heavy rain before, I have ridden in colder temps before, but the combination of rain and temp on this day was the worst I can remember since I started rising in 1972.

I was cold, miserable and grumpy.  Mrs W was colder, more miserable and grumpier (I think she somehow didn't appreciate that it was me that had the heated grips).

I should add, all was well around 15 minutes after we had arrived at the Big Trout Motel at Oberon.  Our excellent had the foresight to have our room pre-heated and provided an extra fan-heated ready for us, it was cold wet, and we knew you were on a motorcycle, and then a hot shower and a set of warm dry clothes.

I'll now digress but come back to the topic .......

In the '80's and '90's when I did motorcycle riding training for the RTA (VIC) and then VicRoads (hope I have not told this story before) a part of the training was about protective clothing, helmet, gloves, jackets, boots, pants, etc....  We would also mention protection from the elements, wind and rain (see, I'm getting back on topic).

We would often get comments like I've got good snow gear, it'll keep me warm and dry.   A response would be along the lines of, Yeah NOT!!  Try putting all your best snow, designer label, Euro made gear and helmet on, turn on the shower (hot, cold or warm water), stand/sit in the shower for around our hours (water would be cold by now), and see if you stay dry.

Whether Saaz, Streak, me or any of the others have stayed dry or wet in their OzSTOC jacket will or has depended on the how heavy and persistent the rain is, how many hours you are riding for riding, what your pillion is wearing (Mrs H had a Rivet jacket - around $400.00 ten years ago - and stayed as dry as me), and if you get the same good results "Good" for you, or bad results, hope for Oberon type hosts.

Now it's time to put all your gear on, and have a four hour shower.
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
Re: Custom OzSTOC Jacket feedback
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2015, 09:53:14 PM »
I was in the Sydney and Brisbane deluges for a few days. You do eventually get wet regardless. I have had no luck with waterproof textile pants, but my old orange PVC ones work a treat (a bit sweaty if it is warm like the Brisbane rain). I suppose that is what being on a bike is like really...
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others