Author Topic: Around the paddock - 9 days part two  (Read 7606 times)

Offline tj189

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Brisbane
Around the paddock - 9 days part two
« on: October 04, 2013, 11:28:10 AM »
cont'd

The stop at Barkly Homestead was good, problems with the Premium pump due to the heat so the need to use 91 again.   I treated myself to one of their Barra Burgers before putting my head down for a sleep.  Up early and off down to Cloncurry for the turn up to Normanton.  Just out of the “Curry” I needed to change out of some gear and found a rest stop.  The pleasant surprise here was meeting up with another rider who had earlier arrived from Cooktown and was waiting to meet up with a mate so they could head off to the ghost town of Mary Kathleen.  It was a great conversation and straight away I was in awe of this gentleman and his escapades on bikes (he had three bikes). When I arrived he had his billy on (trangia), with the rollie hanging out the corner of his mouth. His softly spoken and calm voice fitted in so well with his dry weary face.  He reminded me of conversations that have been had with some old drovers and their ability to draw you into their world and incredible adventures. I must apologise as I have forgotten his name.  I left that stop with a sense of proudness that I had met, chatted with and shared a moment of time with a real down to earth adventurer, it was a part of this ride that will stay with me.  His parting piece of advice, as he limped slightly in my direction, was to visit the croc in the main street of Normanton, I did.

Having lost my glasses a couple of days ago and attempting to purchase some reading glasses over the last couple of days, I thought I would give this town a go as well, fantastic found some.  This now made it a lot easier to write up my logs and check my spreadsheet.  Oh, I also visited the croc before refuelling and heading back out to meet up with the National Highway 1 once again.  It would have been around a 932 kilometres to travel across from Borroloola in the NT to Normanton (as I said before dirt roads and river crossing on my bike are just not me).

How good and beautiful is that run across the top of the tablelands near Atherton, wow! Just fantastic.  Then the run down the mountain into Cairns, I worked my butt off coming down there, unfortunately it was dark but I am sure the ride in the daytime would be an exciting one as well, might have to go back and do that one day.  I stopped at a new servo/maccas on the south side purely for a rest and a quick bite to eat, grilled chicken and chilly wraps, love ‘em.  This was only night that I had not planned an overnight stop in a motel/hotel.  I did this to ensure I had flexibility for the last part of the run down the final part of the paddock boundary.

The Bruce Highway does not have a very good name here in Australia for safety and of course, there is a fair amount of repair work being done.  I think, that by keeping this in mind, it then allows the rider to accept that there will be time issues and that you just have to work around that, again not much else you can do.  My run down this last leg was, well, really uneventful.  I do remember saying to myself, it’s not over yet, concentrate…….  I pulled into one of the stops at Caboolture for a corner docket and continued on with the last piece of this puzzle back to my starting point.
Normally, for us as LDRiders, at the end of our journey, there is no fanfare, just get in and get the last docket and head home. For me however there was a fanfare, bands playing, fireworks all wrapped up in Crappy (Michael), here was a man that had ridden and hour and a half to say well done… what a great bunch of people we have in this LDRiding community in OZ, thanks mate!
My spreadsheet had shown an arrival time of 21:57 and the final docket recorded a time of 21:40, I am happy with that.

Epilogue
The tyres were brand new, Pirelli Angel GT, and there is still a good amount of treat left, of course I am in need of a good service for the bike but it performed flawlessly and is a great touring bike, 2008 Honda ST1300. I need to rethink the water bladder in the tank bag and have a cover made for the external fuel tank.  Replacement spot beam driving lights are also now needed, thanks to that “demon bird”.  The GPS using Igo Primo was exceptional as was the excel spreadsheet.

I have left out the use of the FLIR camera as I expect it may be a little controversial and would hate to think that its discussion may detract from the ride itself.  I will put up a thread on one of the threads at Distance Riders Australia to discuss the equipment and how it was used.  May I say though, I firmly believe that any piece of equipment that makes you as a rider, feel safer and comfortable like fluro vests, roo whistles, daytime running lights, extra rear lights, tall screens, wet weather gear, heated clothing etc., all go towards assisting in your fatigue management.  To me the FLIR camera was part of that.  So keep an eye out on the DRA site for its discussion.

As a member of OzSTOC, the Australian ST Owners Club, I also participate in their Rider Assistance Network, on this trip I notified our two wonderful club members, Jean (Pocket Stoker) and Chris (ST2UP) that co-ordinate this for us, of my trip and gave them the link to follow my journey should they so wish.  This is not part of what they do but had I needed the services of the RAN then it was there, same as my membership of RACQ, again all of this adds to fatigue management as it is something else that is not playing on your mind.  Thanks for the phone calls guys.

This journey ends, the boundary ride around the big paddock completed…now need to look for the next journey on this never ending road…….
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Online Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
Re: Around the paddock - 9 days part two
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 11:38:27 AM »
HOLY SHIT!

(sorry for the language, but...WOW!)

Offline Streak

• Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 12:20:08 PM »
that is simply amazing mate, you make this sport something else to read....
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Online Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 01:40:44 PM »
You are definitely the Usain Bolt of LD Riders mate.      :rockon

Another epic adventure. Thanks for taking us along for the ride.     :thumbs

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Online Marcus

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 01:52:31 PM »
I wonder what the Record is for a lap?

9 days must be close

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 03:14:45 PM »
What a sensational read Trevor......you dont mind if I continue to live vicariously through you do you huh ???

The tracking link that we followed TJ via worked very well indeed......to check his progress half a dozen times a day and see his fatigue managment strategies and his progress all log was inspiring to witness.

well done mate  :clap  :clap now how do you top that ?? In search of another continent perhaps ??

:beer
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Online Wild Rose

• Toowoomba, Qld
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 05:03:38 PM »
That was some ride.  :thumbs. I think it would be great to do it over a few months not 9 days like you did  :eek
Thanks for sharing your experences with us
 :clap  :clap  :clap  :clap  :clap  :clap Well done  :thumb
Leo (Wild Rose)
Honda ST 1300
:rd13       :blk13                            :Spyder
 2002                            New 29-04-13 

Ulysses #49154
FarRider #243

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 10:45:38 PM »
Great trip report TJ.   :clap  I will read the  FLIR report with interest (when I get home)  Have to do that trip (and others) sometime  :beer
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Dick B "Yewie"

• Sydney NSW
  • Switched to a 2015 Yamaha Tracer
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 11:46:34 PM »
Ros and I recently completed the same trip on our 2008 ST1300 (except we went Sydney to Sydney and took the detour to Cooktown). The big difference,of course is we did it in 90 days instead of 9. As you say, each to his own and we enjoyed our trip immensely. We are absolutely flabergasted at your amazing feat. We met another rider during our trip who was doing the circuit in 30 days and we thought this was a real feat but your 9 days leaves this for dead. 
Congratulations on your achievement and your ride report. Your've  shamed me into putting a report up on our own trip. Better start writing  :-[
Dick and Ros
 :rd13
"Yewie"

Offline Pocket STocker

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Snuggled UP2ST2UP
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 05:15:02 PM »
TJ my bum hurts just reading your amazing ride report  :-++  :-++

Pockey  :Blow
Pockey

Skinny Milk Tantrum Speacilist #1

FarRider #757

pillions@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792420

Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life ;)

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 11:12:08 PM »
Thank you every one, appreciate the comments  :thumbs
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 11:36:59 PM »
I seem to have trouble even doing a report on a 3 day ride to places that is 1/10th as detailed as that!  :thumbsup
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 07:37:33 AM »
Thanks Saaz  :thumb
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Online Marcus

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2013, 09:40:55 AM »
So you were doing about 1500km per day?

Offline Carsten

• Carsten
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 09:34:37 PM »
Was it an IBA ride?

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 05:24:56 AM »
yes. paperwork submitted.  now I wait
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 11:54:40 AM »
Mate, that was an amazing ride report :clap
It sounds like you had a great time riding it and didn't let anything take away from the enjoyment (even an attack from a demon bird :eek), you my friend are a LEGEND :-++ :-++ :-++

I thoroughly enjoyed reading the adventure and look forward to reading the next one, thanks for sharing the journey with us :thumbsup

Cheers
Shiney
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Online Marcus

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 12:11:05 PM »
I did some research on the Google machine the other night...looking for the fasted lap time.

The best I could find was some random anecdote about 2 cars finding a clause in the fine print of their hire car contract about unlimited miles and did the lap in 6 days.

Offline STRay (Roo Killer)

• ST1100 - 1, Roo - 0
  • Perth, W.A.
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2013, 08:24:02 PM »
 :-++ Top effort  TJ  :-++

My brain is now working overtime to see when I can do a similar ride I have had planned for a while :think1 , the right wrist is getting very itchy!!
Ray,

ST1100PT ( now 2 tone red )
ST1300AA - SOLD
GL1800E  Blue
FarRider   #110
IBA           #39079
STOC        #821
Roo Killer Extraordinare

Online Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2013, 10:40:59 PM »
I did some research on the Google machine the other night...looking for the fasted lap time.

The best I could find was some random anecdote about 2 cars finding a clause in the fine print of their hire car contract about unlimited miles and did the lap in 6 days.

That's a good find for comparison's sake.  TJ made it hard for himself regarding the route.  It would be interesting to compare routes.  I also suspect they lived in the cars and had multiple drivers driving in relays.  Not sure why they needed two cars, unless it was for redundancy or moral support.  Or was that a typo, and it was two guys who found the clause?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 10:44:16 PM by Biggles »
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2013, 12:31:18 AM »
Thanks Ray, now get out there and hit the road (.....and not the roo's  :-(((:beer
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Online Marcus

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2013, 08:51:22 AM »
yup it was a typo... one car with 2 guys

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2013, 10:09:14 PM »
Trevor, a great report on a truly inspirational ride.   I have covered much of the same territory, but a far more leisurely pace, and have loved every kilometre of it.
(Note to self - Must undertake a FarRide or two and make my love of distance riding official)
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline gaz

• The dark knight! The vigilante! The caped-crusader!
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Then be The Batman
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2013, 10:15:05 PM »
Mate, that was an amazing ride report :clap
It sounds like you had a great time riding it and didn't let anything take away from the enjoyment (even an attack from a demon bird :eek), you my friend are a LEGEND :-++ :-++ :-++

I thoroughly enjoyed reading the adventure and look forward to reading the next one, thanks for sharing the journey with us :thumbsup

Cheers
Shiney

i'm struggling with planing a ride around QLD  :crazy
Taking over one emoticon at a time >:D

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2013, 05:09:19 AM »
Thank you Pete, this great land of ours encourages, no beckons us to get out to see it, how we see it is up to each of us and I am sure you have thoroughly enjoyed your exploration as well  :thumb

Gaz, I actually find the planning part enjoyable, especially when you then go an ride your plan and it works  :thumb
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456