Author Topic: Best Bike GPS Suggestions  (Read 30922 times)

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
Best Bike GPS Suggestions
« on: September 16, 2011, 08:37:40 AM »
RightO Guys and Girls.

You've all been a help bunch till now. Lets see how you go with this one.
It's my birthday coming up, and Mrs Stringo has rubber stamped approval of a GPS unit in Prep for the Great Meet n' Greet next April.

So...What's the Best GPS to get?
From what I read on the previous forum, My options are:

1.Garmen zumoŽ 660 US$649.99 (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135&pID=15000)
2.TomTom Pro Rider AUS$599 (http://www.tomtom.com/en_au/products/bike-navigation/rider-pro-australia/index.jsp)

I'm Kinda leaning towards the TomTom...

Thoughts?

Offline innet57

• ST Freak
Re: Best Bike GPS Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 08:11:00 PM »
RightO Guys and Girls.

You've all been a help bunch till now. Lets see how you go with this one.
It's my birthday coming up, and Mrs Stringo has rubber stamped approval of a GPS unit in Prep for the Great Meet n' Greet next April.

So...What's the Best GPS to get?
From what I read on the previous forum, My options are:

1.Garmen zumoŽ 660 US$649.99 (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135&pID=15000)
2.TomTom Pro Rider AUS$599 (http://www.tomtom.com/en_au/products/bike-navigation/rider-pro-australia/index.jsp)

I'm Kinda leaning towards the TomTom...

Thoughts?

I've had a Garmin Zumo 550 for 4 years now. From my perspective as a bike GPS it's been unbelievably reliable, (both trail and Road use) and simple for bike riders to use even with gloves. I have no idea what the 660 is like, but presumably it comes from the 550 back bone. Linking to phone and headsets is easyand playing music as you ride with hands-free telephone calls in your helmet is a benefit that is worth more than you initially consider. I wouldn't worry about the Tom Tom, I'd just pay the extra money and be confident that you will have reliability. I know others with this model and all are very happy with the performance and durability.
Wayne Tenni
If this is as good as it gets .... it ain't too bad.

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 09:13:51 PM »
From memory, the Zumo also comes with the gear needed to also use it in the car (speaker etc), whereas the TomTom does not.  The garmin also has the software to plan a trip on the PC then download it onto the GPS.  In a recent Choice test of GPSs it came equal first among car and bike GPS units.  The TomTom always get good marks for ease of use, but last test I saw mwntined that it is not rated for immersion in water like the Zumo, just water resistant.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

terrydj

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 07:56:12 AM »
I've had the Zumo 550 for a few years now and it is the best. Know riders who got rid of their Tom Tom for a Zumo.
In the car the Zumo with its own supplied car cradle, hooks up to your phone via Bluetooth and instant speaker phone "Hands Free"
Me thinks and knows, if you buy something else you just know how to waist money

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 09:17:38 AM »
Horses for courses, I think, I have used the TomTom 2 for a number of years found it to be very good, lots of ability to obtain improved software :-X. I am currently using one of these:
http://brisbane.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicles-Motorbikes-Parts-parts-accessories-audio-GPS-car-alarms-IWIN-3-5-GPS-WATERPROOF-MOTORCYCLE-BIKE-SYSTEM-CPU533Mhz-128MB-W0QQAdIdZ303137115 these can also be picked up from overseas sellers.
My reason for going to this one is the software which is IGO Primo 1.2, lots more options and fits in with my long distance riding, for  example it can not only display time, distance to final location etc but can also be set up to display on the main screen the time, distance to your next waypoint.  it has a comprehensive trip computer consisting of two seperate screens and allows you to set up more individual trip computer screens.  The software is what i consider to be very customizable.
I would normally run two gps on my trips which would be the TomTom giving me the normal screen with map and the other one showing the trip computer, now i could do away with the tomtom and only use the one, but I am still testing this process.
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Marcus

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 10:00:43 AM »
Well after much research on the internets. I ordered and took delivery yesterday of a TomTom Pro rider
TomTom Pro Rider AUS$599 (http://www.tomtom.com/en_au/products/bike-navigation/rider-pro-australia/index.jsp)

My wife told me to get what ever you guys said the garmin. On on closer inspection (attempting to order one) the don't ship to Australia. and the Australian prices are almost $200 more expensive then for the same product in America, bring it up to around $800 odd dollars.

So forget that. It's only a GPS.

So I went with TomTom which comes with Scala headset and RamBall connections...

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 02:54:54 PM »
Be very careful ordering a Garmin over the net, especially ebay as Garmin will probably not cover the warranty.

Only an approved Garmin supplier/seller can get recognised cover. Also there can be a problem getting the correct base maps as well. Cloned maps may create problems.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline IanB

• Trundler
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 06:27:28 PM »
Best suggestion - get a nokia phone. Then you got phone things, an 8gb micro card for music and most importantly download the free maps for the built in nokia GPS , then plug it into a starcom and you've got multifunction. Less clutter.  I just listen to the directions through the headset. No need for eyes of road, same with phone calls. and if you get the right phone it will read text messages.
Never under estimate the predictability of stupidity.

Offline JuST Peter

• Quakers Hill NSW
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 08:42:51 PM »
and if you get the right phone it will read text messages.
Not trying to be smart about this, but can it translate voice into text for replies?
Ulysses #41044; OzSTOC #14
I love what I ride and ride what I love

Offline Couch

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 09:12:02 PM »
Just wondering if this can be done with an iPhone 3gs.........does anyone know??
My iPhone will auto answer with my Camos bluetooth and it would be very handy to also use it as a GPS.

Best suggestion - get a nokia phone. Then you got phone things, an 8gb micro card for music and most importantly download the free maps for the built in nokia GPS , then plug it into a starcom and you've got multifunction. Less clutter.  I just listen to the directions through the headset. No need for eyes of road, same with phone calls. and if you get the right phone it will read text messages.
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline Couch

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 09:39:23 PM »
Good on ya Marcus...........now all you have to do is wire it all up  ???

If you're thinking that you might be looking at other farkles down the line that will also require electrical connections then I suggest you think about fitting a Quartet Harness. The Harness is made by Honda specifically for the ST 1300 and is used for wiring up farkles such as GPS, heated grips, radios, etc. it's just a matter of plugging them in. The harness is not expensive and is very easy to fit. You do need to remove the left hand side cowls but the rest is easy. And  :-((( you don't need to be an electrical genius to do it. Help is always available  :phone

There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

terrydj

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 10:08:29 PM »
All to bloody complicated. I only have things that work.
I look at the screen on my GPS and see where I am
I push the button it tells me how far I have to my destination
It tells me where to go.
It has over 1200 Mp3's on it
I push the button it tells me the closest fuel
I push the button and I use it as a phone, complete with all my contacts on it.
I push the button and it tells me where everything is
I just use my phone to call people and text

terrydj

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 10:10:22 PM »
When
and if you get the right phone it will read text messages.
Not trying to be smart about this, but can it translate voice into text for replies?
My phone is bluetoothed to my GPS it has an app that converts text to voice so that when I get a text it automatically reads it and says who's it from

Offline Marcus

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 07:49:16 AM »
I suggest you think about fitting a Quartet Harness. The Harness is made by Honda specifically for the ST 1300 and is used for wiring up farkles such as GPS, heated grips, radios, etc. it's just a matter of plugging them in. The harness is not expensive and is very easy to fit. You do need to remove the left hand side cowls but the rest is easy. And  :-((( you don't need to be an electrical genius to do it. Help is always available  :phone

Oh...man  >:()

Why do you people live so far away...I was thinking about talking to an Auto Electrician

Offline Couch

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 10:11:33 AM »
Well.......that's one way of doing it mate, but someone still has to take the fairings off to wire it all up, and if an auto electrician does it..........it's gunna cost ya!  :'(

You could do it yourself, it's not that difficult! The Quartet Harness is simply a wire harness approx eighteen inches in length, it has a 9 point connection on one end, and 4 connections on the other end, each one slightly different, they are used to connect directly to any farkles you may want to add to your bike. Under the left side cowling of the bike there is a 9 point plug already installed by Honda with which you connect the 9 point plug of the harness to. They simply clip together, you don't have to strip wires or anything.
The cost of the Quartet Harness is only $16.00AU + freight cost from the USA. There is a heap of information available on the Harness and how to install it, also on how to remove the fairings etc. If you would like to speak with me about the installation of the Harness please feel welcome to give me a call on 03 6250 2419  :phone.      It really isn't that difficult!  ;D

Offline Marcus

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 10:26:43 AM »
Oh, if all I got to do is plug stuff in...I think I can do that. So the plug that already installed in the Honda is connected to the Battery, right? Ok you've talked me into it...

I can do this....I can do this... I think I can, I think I can...

Offline Couch

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 10:53:55 AM »
You can do it Mate!! The harness even has a 15amp fuse already in line.......it's all just clip in and go.
There is a wealth of info on this web site under Workshop Repair & Mods ST1300, on how to remove the fairings/cowls etc, also check out under "cheat sheet for fairing/clips & screws" print these sheets out and use them so you'll know where everything go's when you put the fairings back on...........I used them & found them very useful. 

Offline Nick

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2011, 05:25:51 PM »
Another option is this which I have found whilst surfing the net. I was really considering a Garmin Zumo 550 however even used ones don't go cheap and are hard to find. Ram make an Aqua box that includes a face compatible with touch screen devices. A nice install can be seen here http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52601 and for much less of a cash outlay.

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2011, 08:55:49 PM »
Before buying a GPS online and unseen, make sure of the date of the mapset, and are they updateable. There are a lot out thaere that are Garmin clones with copied software, updates can be impossible to obtain. :CB--
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Flip

• 20 odd other bikes - FINALLY - ST Owner/Rider.
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2011, 11:03:10 PM »
Purchased a Garmin 660 just a little while ago.
After going over all the pricing that I could find for a new one, it owrked out about the same to buy from an Oz seller rather than buy from the USA then have to pay for all the new maps, up-grades, etc. for Australia and New Zealand.  :)
While it was not the cheapest unit around - sometimes you do get only what you pay for. ( example - my $99 Chinese copy of an iphone  :-[ )
The biggest plus - if you can call it that - is IF anything does go wrong with it - then it can be sent back to the Oz seller - fully covered by their warranty with a minimum of fuss and drama.    :grin

So far, so good - it works great, nice clear maps and easy to read, also works great with my mobile phone for hands-free while out driving - car and bike.
Except it once when tried to constantly direct me from Armadale back to Fremantle when I had it keyed in for an address in Safety Bay   :eek

But I AM Napoleon I tell you !
Where am I now that I need me ???
ALL others on the roads are idiots - ride accordingly !
STOC # 5709.
Ulysses Club # 40064.

Offline Couch

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 10:00:37 AM »
Who did you buy the Garmin from Flip??

Offline Flip

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 10:10:07 AM »
 :-[  MMMMMMMMMM  ????   I get confused, have the paperwork around here somewhere.

Have to check my Fleabay or PayPal account and get back to you sometime today with that information.   :CB--
STOC # 5709.
Ulysses Club # 40064.

Offline Flip

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 10:42:44 AM »
Well, that was easier than I thought it would be  :grin

Garmin 660 from - RYDA DOT COM - look under GPS navigation, then motor bike accessories - currently listed at $799.85 post free.
(they also list a couple of TomTom models and they're doing a combo sale for GPS units with a top bike alarm for a really good price IMHO  :thumb )
Picked up a few little extras for the GPS unit -
Lexar Class 6 micro SDHC card 16GB from etechome (HK ???)  -  $29.22
Screen protectors - pack of 2 from navscreen (USA)    -               $11.58.
GPS Sun shade from gpsvisor - location ??? - Korea - I think -     $14.85.

Hope this help you a bit Couch   :thumbsup
STOC # 5709.
Ulysses Club # 40064.

Offline Nick

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 12:27:14 PM »
Just bought a garmin 765 on eBay seen here for a bargain price http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/250911903329?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_9250wt_922. Now going to buy a ram aqua box and mount. Add a hard wire power cable and will be sorted for less than 250 bucks  :thumbs

Offline Marcus

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2011, 03:07:48 PM »
So I've just installed my TomTom GPS and took at for it test run with a couple of guys...

So all in All it went really well. I left it on all day yesterday and the ride today. So about 8 or so hours on the battery. So I'm thinking I don't need to get it hard wired in. Which is good news.
Also it measured my speedo as being around 10km under, which is confirmation on what I originally thought.